Friday 21 December 2012

JK Rowling Helping Single Parents

At our Holidays For Single Parents webpage, we help single parents cope with the holidays, and find great vacations to help your family recharge and re-energise.

xemenia and her mom 204 1024x768 Holidays For Single Parents

Even though you are a lone parent, it doesn't mean you have to be by yourself.

Organisations like Gingerbread help single parents quite a bit, by creating a support community, offering assistance, and more. Its President is JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, and formerly a single parent herself.

Here is an excerpt from their website, with the story of one single parent:

I feel like my whole life is consumed by children. I don't get a lot of time to myself.
I have three kids: Tom, 11, Ryan, 9 and three-year-old Sophie and I've been a single parent twice over.
Way back I got married and had two boys but then we divorced and I was four years a single parent, until I met Sophie's father. That relationship was volatile and destructive. Sophie was a newborn when her father became violent. He threatened to run off with her and told social workers I was an unfit mother.
I lost everything, including my self-respect. He was abusive to my two sons and I didn't know, that was the final straw.
So I was a single parent again, it was even harder the second time. I wrongly blamed myself, used to wonder why it was happening to me again.

Read more at http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=1567

Check out the site, and see what great work they do.




No comments:

Post a Comment